The reason Furby made it on our ToyXplosion 20 list for the 2012 Holiday season is possibly due to a bit of nostalgia and due to the fact that he has some great new features. Todd and I both grew up with Furby. We bought our kids a Furby many years ago and the fact that he’s back with all new colors and features, well….it just makes us happy.
What We Thought
The really cool thing is all of the new features Furby has. Not only does he interact with a new app for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, but he has a mind of his own. If you’re nice to him, he’ll have a sweet personality. If you’re not. Well, get ready for some interesting things.
When we first opened Furby up, being that boys will be boys, our 8 year old and his friend wanted to see what Furby was like with a little bit of a mean streak to him. The result? He burped and, what’s the polite word here…pooted over and over again. What did they think? They thought it was hysterical of course.
Well, I got a hold of Furby and taught him some manners! Now he sings, talks sweetly, says some really funny things and does something new everytime we turn him on. It seems his burping and well, you know, days are over. (For now anyway.)
We also downloaded the Furby app via an iPod Touch and we could feed Furby and translate what he was saying. It was pretty darn cool. The more you play with Furby, the more English he will speak. We definitely have noticed him speaking more and more English. It’s funny.
Here are a few of Furby’s features:
- Develops its personality based on how you play with it
- Interacts with its friends and dances to your favorite songs
- Speaks basic FURBISH, the special FURBY language
- Learns English the more you play with it
- Get the free FURBY App (available September 15) to translate FURBISH and feed your FURBY
- Requires 4 AA batteries (not included)
- For ages 6 and up
- Available in 10 bright new colors
ToyXplosion Video Demo
Here’s a little video demo we put together.
Bottom Line – Is This Toy for Your Child?
Here’s the bottom line on if this toy is something your child will enjoy. We think they’ll enjoy the new Furby if:
- They enjoy electronic pets
- They had a Furby in the past and actually played with it
- They enjoy toys that work with their iPod, iPhone or iPad
- They often go back to an electronic toy over and over again
- They are willing to play with it more than once to see all of his features
You know your child best, so use your best judgement when thinking about purchasing a Furby. He retails right now for around $54, so it’s not a toy you want to buy and then see it sitting there not played with. Oh how I hate that!
Stay tuned for more video demos and reviews of the toys listed on the ToyXplosion 20 for 2012!
Disclosure: ToyXplosion received this toy in order to facilitate our review. No other compensation was received. All opinions are 100% our own. This post includes affiliate links, so when you click on a link and order through us, we receive a small commission.